A tasty alternative to traditional pesto with nutritious whole wheat pasta.
- 350-400 g Busiate or other pasta
- 200 g round red radicchio
- 2 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 1 clove of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt for pasta and to taste
- Wash the radicchio and cut it into strips taking care to remove the most bitter white parts.
- Soak the leaves in cold water for 30 minutes, drain and pat dry.
Boil a pot of water to cook the pasta in. Add salt once the water starts to boil.
- Put the chopped garlic, radicchio, toasted pine nuts and a pinch of salt into the blender.
- Pulse until the contents are quite small then add the parmesan and oil.
- Pulse everything together a couple more times.
If the pesto is too thick, dilute it with a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water once the pasta is cooked.
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packet and once ready transfer it to a bowl and toss with the pesto.
- Serve hot with extra grated parmesan if required.
This recipe can be made vegan by omitting the cheese or using vegan cheese
If you can't find busiate pasta, any short whole wheat or normal pasta such as fusilli works well too.