Rigatoni pasta with lamb ragu Molisano
A rich and hearty 3 meat ragu that's perfect for family lunches and holiday menus
- 500 g rigatoni pasta (you can also use fusilli or other short pasta)
- 200 g lamb (boneless shoulder) I used meat from neck chops
- 200 g veal (boneless shoulder)
- 2 pork sausages
- 700 g peeled tomatoes or tomato passata
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 carrot washed and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery washed and finely chopped
- 1 white onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- 1 red chili pepper (peperoncino) chopped and seeds removed
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g pecorino cheese grated
- salt for pasta and to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Prepare the vegetables. Wash and finely chop the carrot and celery. Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Prepare the meat. Cut the lamb and veal into small squares. Remove the sausage meat from the casing and chop into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or skillet, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the lamb, veal and chopped sausage.
- Brown the meat well then add the wine, let the alcohol evaporate. Add 1/2 chopped peperoncino if using
- Add the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces (or tomato passata), salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat and cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Put a pan of water onto boil for the pasta. Add salt once it starts to boil and bring to the boil again. Cook the pasta al dente according to the instructions on the packet.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Mix well and serve hot sprinkled with grated pecorino and more peperoncino if required.
Pages: Page 1 Page 2