Penne alla Vodka
This creamy pasta with vodka is a vintage recipe from the 1970s and 80s that has become really popular and trendy in the last few years. It's easy to make, yet special enough to serve on date nights and to guests.
- 350 g penne (12oz) or rigatoni. I used whole grain penne from Mancini
- 200 g pancetta (7oz) diced
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 300 g tomato passata (10.5oz)
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 150 ml Fresh cream (5floz) or Italian heavy cream (panna da cucina)
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 tsp peperoncino flakes (red chili pepper) or as required
- salt for pasta and to taste
- freshly ground black pepper. to serve
- Parmigiano Reggiano grated as required
Make the sauce
Cook the onion in a large skillet with olive oil until it becomes transparent. Add the diced pancetta and brown it. Deglaze with the vodka over a high heat and let the alcohol evaporate. Add the red chili pepper and then add the cherry tomato halves and cook until they soften slightly.
Add tomato passata and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced. Add salt to taste. Add the cream and mix the ingredients together carefully.