A tasty nutritious soup from Veneto, Italy, which is immensely warming, healthy and tasty!
- 250 g crushed tomotoes polpa/ passata
- 2 celery stalks medium sized
- 80 g lardons
- 400 g precooked or canned Borlotti beans if using dried beans soak overnight and then cook in salted water for 2 hours
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 0.5 lts beef stock
- 1 small onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper/ salt to taste
- 1 tsp rosemary fresh or dried
- 300 g Ditaloni pasta
Dissolve beef stock 2 cubes in o.5 litres of boiling water
- Chop the onion, celery and carrot very finely ( in a food mixer is good)
- Cut the lardons into thin slices.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic clove peeled but not cut and cook it until it browns, then remove it.
- Add the finely chopped vegetables to the pan and cook until they start to soften.
- Add a ladleful of the stock and cook the vegetables another minute or two.
Add the slices of lardons to the pan and cook until they melt. (you can also add some thinly sliced parma ham now if desired)
- Add another ladleful of stock and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and salt and pepper as desired.
Add the precooked beans and mix the ingredients well, whilst adding the last of the stock. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the water on to boil for the pasta.
- Whilst waiting for the water to boil, remove 3 ladlefuls from the soup and liquidise it in a food processor until it's smooth and creamy. Then add this mixture back into the soup and stir well.
When the pasta is cooked al dente (according to the instructions on the packet), strain and add it to the soup.
- Season with the finely chopped rosemary and pour into bowls. Add a little olive oil to the soup just before serving ( don't mix it in)
For a vegetarian version of this soup, just leave out the lardons and use vegetable stock instead of beef.
You can make this soup with other types of small pasta tubes or even cut up spaghetti!
[amazon_link asins=’B071RSN1JL,B01DPC97C6,B00TOJITOM,B007CWZEAU,1903141826,8889846496′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thepastaproje-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’b2c163ba-87dd-11e7-a999-abd36d2ef63b’]