Baked pasta with pumpkin and zucchini.
A delicious slightly sweet, creamy and crunchy autumnal pasta bake.
- 320 g Trescatori pasta (you can also use ziti, zitoni, candele, penne or mezze maniche)
- 500 g pumpkin or squash cut into cubes
- 4 zucchini (courgettes) cut into small cubes
- 1 small red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 200 ml cooking cream or 150ml milk
- 125 g fresh mozzarella cut into small pieces
- 30 g breadcrumbs
- 4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt for pasta and to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 100 g parmesan grated
- butter to grease oven dish
- Begin by removing the skin and seeds from the pumpkin and cutting it into large cubes. Place the pumpkin cubes on a flat oven dish, sprinkle with olive oil, pepper and chopped sage leaves and roast in a preheated oven at 180° until it starts to soften and brown (20-25 mins).
- While the pumpkin is roasting, cut the zucchini into slices and then small cubes and peel and chop the red onion finely. Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Fry the onion until it starts to soften and then add the zucchini, some salt and pepper.
- Put a pan of water on to boil for the pasta. Add salt when it starts to boil and bring to the boil again.
- When the pumpkin is ready add half to the zucchini and onion with the white wine and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- Cook the pasta less than al dente according to the instructions on the packet.
- In the meantime, cream the remaining pumpkin with the cooking cream or milk in a blender or food processor until you get a homogeneous sauce.
- When the pasta is ready, save a cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Add the creamed pumpkin to the pasta and mix together well. If the sauce seems dry, add some of the saved pasta cooking water.
- Butter an oven dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of pasta with pumpkin cream. Add a layer of the vegetables with some pieces of mozzarella and a sprinkling of parmesan. Add another layer of pasta, then vegetables, mozzarella and parmesan. Finish with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° until the top because golden and crispy. Allow the dish to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
You can also use other pasta tubes such as ziti, zitoni, candele, penne or mezze maniche. If possible use grooved or ridged (rigate) pasta. The sauce adheres better to this type of pasta.
Calories: 938kcalCarbohydrates: 86gProtein: 33gFat: 48gSaturated Fat: 22gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 691mgPotassium: 1307mgFiber: 6gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 12180IUVitamin C: 49mgCalcium: 587mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
More recipes you may like
- Pasta muffin nests
- Penne with eggplant and pine nuts
- Pumpkin gnocchi with speck
- Scialatielli with yellow bell peppers
- Stuffed and baked paccheri alla pesarese
- Tortellini Bolognese pasta pie
Pages: Page 1 Page 2
Lyn Davis says
I had a heap of pumpkin and a huge zucchini to use up, and good old Google came up with this recipe. Yum!!! This is a beautiful dish, makes a large amount and I will definitely be making it again!
This recipe looks really delicious. I’ve been wanting to make pumpkin ravioli and had to come see what you might have on your site!
Fantastic recipe here! Made such a creamy pasta yummy! I added pesto paste for some added flavour and flaked almonds to the top for a bit of crunch! X
Jennifer Giordano imbroll says
This recipe is amazing. Tank you
Thank you Jennifer! I just realized I answered the wrong comment before. Yes this dish is really delish. Def worth trying! Regards from Verona! Jacqui